Welcome!!!

Welcome to everyone who found this blog! First things first, the man you see pictured with a healthy glass of wine in his hand, and a jim dandy White Sox shirt on, is my uncle. He is one of the finest human beings ever to walk the earth, and this blog is dedicated to him.

Secondly, I'm not really sure who would want to read anything here. As I stated before, this blog was started by me strictly for theraputic purposes at this point. If something is on here that generates a reaction in you, by all means feel free to share it. If not, that's fine too. This is a fly-by-night operation, so no pressure.

Third, we live in an era where sports information has never been more accessible. Yet somehow most of it manages to be filtered and watered down in many respects by certain media/sports networks/websites. It's my wish to have one little sanctuary where information/thoughts/feelings are free of agenda or spin, or b.s. that exists in todays sportsworld. Hopefully that will exist here.

Fourth, LETS HAVE SOME FUN!!!


Chicago Bears Hulu.com Page

Chicago Bears Hulu.com Page
For All The NFL Network Footage

Monday, March 29, 2010

Fee Fi Fo Fum...














I smell not the blood of an Englishman, but of something else that seems a little fishy. Tyler Colvin has been rewarded for his freakishly good stats this spring training by being added to the Cubs Opening Day Roster. I use the word "freakishly" because his batting average and on-base percentage is a perfect match at .455. It's pretty hard to hit .455 without ONE walk in 66 at-bats isn't it? Before someone points this out, yes it's absolutely strange that while Colvin can be rewarded for putting up remarkable stats in spring training, the Cubs best prospect Starlin Castro does not receive the same treatment from Lou Piniella even though Castro hit .423 this spring. That's not what I find interesting though...

The part that's of most interest to me is the report that Colvin has put on 25 lbs of muscle this offseason at the age of 24. OK...I suppose that's technically possible, but 15 lbs would have been much easier to believe it was obtained cleanly, agreed? Colvin has also never played at a level higher than Double A since being drafted 13th overall by the Cubs in 2006. Now suddenly he's knocking the cover off the ball so much that he's earned a roster spot despite zero openings in the Cub outfield with Soriano, Byrd, and Fukudome?

I'm not saying...I'm just saying...I find this to be a pretty interesting "blossoming" to say the least. Colvin's performance will definitely be worth keeping an eye on. Let's hope someone in the Cubs organization told Colvin that there will be testing this year too...

2 comments:

  1. We all know teams use hyperbole's in weight and height. One thing is i saw this kid play in daytona last year. He was just starting to get it. One thing is not taking a walk will hurt him because he is not patient waiting for his pitches. I see him staying around and being called down to double A in the future. As for Castro I believe the Cubs are taking their time with him. This is his first yr and just like Gordon Beckham he will be called this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure I get all of that, I'm just saying it's worth keeping an eye on.

    ReplyDelete